Whether for creating the perfect gaming station or for furnishing your home studio, buying the best mechanical keyboard could be quite complicated due to the huge amount of devices currently on the market.
The solution to the problem is probably to be found in defining one’s own needs and personal tastes, a fundamental aspect of extricating oneself within the forest of producers devoted to the packaging of increasingly refined and specialized mechanical keyboards in both uses.
How to choose a Mechanical Keyboard for PC
After introducing the topic in the index guide dedicated to the best keyboards currently on the market, today we focus on the category most loved by gamers worldwide, that of keyboards with mechanical operation instead of their membrane sisters in structure, operation, and complexity.
As you can well understand, the reasoned choice of the best mechanical keyboard for your needs passes through knowing the distinctive characteristics of this device. Below, we try to list some of them in an organic (and hopefully not dispersive) way.
Structure and Function
The mechanical keyboards exploit independent switches whose pressure determines a dedicated electrical circuit’s closure, guaranteeing greater precision and a better writing feeling. The buttons are characterized by a complex structure that has been progressively modified and improved by the most renowned manufacturers, who have proposed (and continue to offer) an extensive range of switches, which differ in shape and operating mechanism, and actuation force.
- Cherry MX Blue is perfect for sound feedback lovers. These switches are tactile and show several advantages, including faster writing speed combined with reduced finger fatigue and a better writing feel (50 grams of actuation force).
- Cherry MX Brown: first choice tactile keys for the most avid gamers who benefit from the tactile feedback given by the presence of a step in the middle of the travel that helps to understand if the pressure was sufficient to send the input to the terminal (45 grams of actuation force). The low noise is an added value even if, it must be said, keyboards with Cherry MX Brown switches (in the clear or gray variants) are not yet prevalent with QWERTY layouts.
- Cherry MX Black and Red: among the first mechanical keys produced in the mid-1980s, they are characterized by an actuation force ranging from 45 to 60 grams and simpler and more linear pressure response without feedback mid-travel (there is only the end-of-stroke response).
It must say that over time, the main keyboard manufacturers have worked hard to create switches with the most varied characteristics to meet the tastes of the increasingly wide audience of users.
When buying some Logitech, Razer or Xiaomi branded keyboard. It is not uncommon to come across keys with particular functioning (marked by different colors such as Green, Orange, Yellow, Black, and White).
Layout and ergonomics
A key element for the efficiency of use, the layout basically describes the keys’ distribution and generally takes its name from the first five letters of the upper left row. The most-used layout is the QWERTY one. Ergonomics is a key point if you usually stay at the workplace for a long time.
Although the need for feet to raise the keyboard in the front is an obsolete legacy of an ISO regulation of the 80s, the presence of a palm rest that keeps the hand in a higher position than the device is useful instead to make typing smoother and prevent wrist and hand joint fatigue.
The integrated Trackpad, Macro Keys, and Media keys
The presence of an integrated trackpad to replace (or integrate the mouse) could be an added value if the work surface is small or if you want to use your wireless keyboard while standing or comfortably from your bed.
For all players, the ability to program sequences of actions by pressing a single key to increasing the game’s speed is essential. It will be good to make sure that the keyboard is programmable and provides users with macro keys.
Similarly, if you want to speed up video playback or multimedia content management, it is worth buying a keyboard that incorporates media keys. We are sure that music fans, videomakers, and they will be able to make the features.
Mechanical keyboards tend to be composed with greater attention to detail than membrane devices. Nonetheless, it should emphasize that low-cost devices are composed of quality materials proportionate to the sale cost, do not expect great exploits if you do not want to spend a few dollars more.
Mechanical PC keyboard: Our selection
Here is the list of what we consider the best mechanical keyboards to buy. We will start with the high-end and more expensive models, up to the cheapest ones.
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
- Aircraft grade anodized brushed aluminum frame: Built to withstand a lifetime of...
- 8MB profile storage with hardware macro and lighting playback: Allow access up...
- Dynamic multicolor per key backlighting with light edge: Adjust each key's color...
- 100 percentage Cherry MX Speed RGB mechanical key switches: Unleash blistering...
- 6 programmable G keys for in game macros: Assign single keystrokes or complex...
It is one of the best mechanical keyboards currently available on the market. It offers generous dimensions, which are compensated for by the extra features included in the keyboard body. The guaranteed ergonomics are really excellent, thanks to the comfortable, removable palm rest and the Cherry MX’s tactile feedback in Brown and Speed versions.
There are 6 programmable macro keys on the left side, customized through Corsair iCUE software. You can also use these keys to perform quick operations with Elgato software.
Corsair K70 RGB MK.2
- Experience all day comfort with low profile, low travel keys. Cherry MX Low...
- An all new slim line design effortlessly fits into modern desktop setups
- Aircraft grade anodized aluminum frame ensures a lifetime of gaming
- Multi color RGB per key backlighting, now brighter than ever thanks to...
- Intuitive and powerful CORSAIR iCUE software enables vivid dynamic RGB lighting...
The peculiar feature of this keyboard is the presence of low-profile keys. With a reduced height of 35%, this new key construction allows you to combine the convenience of low profile with Cherry MX switches’ excellent performance. Corsair’s K70 is characterized by the truly excellent build quality, typical of the company’s products.
There is also a comfortable, removable palm rest that helps you avoid straining your wrists during long gaming sessions. The presence of controls for volume and music playback placed in the keyboard’s upper part is very welcome. Also, on the keyboard’s back, a USB port allows you to connect the mouse and headphones directly to it.
DREVO Tyrfing V2
- Customizable RGB backlit: 16.8 millions colors and 14 different lighting modes...
- Compact 87 keys Design: The ergonomic 10 keyless keyboard saves space and...
- Real Mechanical keyboard: N-key Rollover allows you to control each key...
- Excellent Workmanship: Aluminium alloy panel, Gold-plated USB connector,...
- Multi-function & Software Support: 5 programmable macro keys can record your...
The Tyrfing V2 by Drevo is the best tenkeyless model in the low-medium range. You will hardly be able to bring home a great mechanical gaming keyboard for the same price. It can easily be considered the Best Buy of medium-low-end mechanical gaming keyboards. This peripheral is characterized by a truly excellent quality/price ratio.
The really excellent build quality characterizes it, a feature to be considered given the selling price. Also, it is equipped with 5 programmable macro keys thanks to the specific dedicated software. The PC software allows you to manage RGB lighting as well.
Also, there is the possibility to lock the Windows key not to press it mistakenly while you are engaged in gaming sessions. It is available in different versions, which differ in the Outemu switches present.
RK ROYAL KLUDGE RK61
- 【3 Modes Connectivity】 With 2.4Ghz wireless, Bluetooth, and USB wired 3...
- 【61 Keys Compact Design】No additional number keys, can meet you demands in...
- 【Hot-Swappable Brown Switch】Slightly quieter and easier to trigger than the...
- 【RGB Backlit】This 60% Custom Mechanical Keyboard has 18 RGB Backlight Modes,...
- 【Ergonomic Designed】The RK61 is designed with 8°Ergonomic angle which can...
This is a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard without a numeric keypad. The form factor that distinguishes it allows you to save precious space on your desk. Furthermore, can use it both in wired and wireless mode thanks to the Bluetooth connection. It is available in different versions, which differ in switch and color.
We recommend purchasing the version with a blue switch, the right compromise between gaming and writing. If, on the other hand, you have to use it, mainly for writing, we recommend the version with brown switches. There is LED lighting, which can be light blue, orange, or RGB.
AUKEY Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
If you are looking for a mechanical keyboard, including a low-end numeric keypad, this is a peripheral for you. The build quality is decent, in line with the selling price. It features 105 keys with Outemu Blue switches and 100% anti-ghosting, suitable for gaming and writing.
It is waterproof, which allows you to protect the keyboard from accidental drops of liquids. There is an RGB LED backlight with 8 preset lighting effects. In the sales package, there is also a handy tool that allows you to extract the keys.
The most popular mechanical keyboards of the moment
Before concluding the article, after our selection, we want to bring you the ranking of the 10 most popular mechanical keyboards of the moment. The list is based on user feedback and the sales of each unit.
Product prices and availability are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.